Friday, August 28, 2009

F-R-E-E

Observation #6: Free stuff rocks...

Who says nothing in life is free?

A few days ago, I was sitting in a Panera Bread cafe, right around my house, enjoying the free wifi. It was great because I had a couple hours to kill and a bunch of free online episodes of Project Runway Canada to watch. By the way, that show is pretty cool. It's amazing what talents human beings possess.

Iman the supermodel: "Make an evening gown out of post-its!"
Designers: "OKAY!"

Anyways, going back to the free stuff, I guess it can be argued that the wifi is calculated into the not-terribly-cheap soup & sandwich combo I got (their sweet corn soup is so good though!), but then again there are lots of not-so-terribly cheap restaurants without free wifi. So I readily buy into the notion of free-ness, though I may be being duped.

What else in my life is free?
  • Well of course, God's love for me. The best free thing there is out there.
  • Parking at work. Parking for free in downtown Toronto certainly is a big deal. Too bad I'm not a morning person and therefore don't trust myself on most days to not fall asleep in rush hour traffic.
  • Graphic design stuff my sister does for me (check out www.syoondesign.com). I didn't have to pay for my wedding invitations, this blog design, any other design-related thing ever. :)
  • Friendships. I have some AMAZING friends that God has blessed me with, and as far as I'm concerned, I've never paid for them. Sure, you have to invest money and time and heart, but I think given the return, it's almost as good as free!
  • Inspiration on the web. For someone like me who is into the arts & craft world (though have little time to actually make anything lately), the world wide web has inspiration galore. Lots of stuff I've bookmarked to try to make later... As an experienced friend has told me before, I apparently just have to wait to get pregnant and I'll have lots of time to do this stuff. There's a good reason to get pregnant... haha.
  • Blogging! Although, I just listened to a comical debate on CBC radio about whether or not blogging benefits the world or harms it (freedom of speech and opinion vs. forum for hate crimes, cyber bullying and just "do you really think people care?"). Where do I stand on the debate? Mmm.. well I am blogging as we speak, aren't I? But it's true that there are many people out there that take advantage of the anonymity and little accountability there is in the "blogosphere" (I learned that word from the radio today).
  • Stuff at the library! Again, I understand that our tax dollars are paying for all of our library services, but very few people take advantage of what their tax dollars are paying for and instead pay for books at retail price and borrow movies from Blockbuster, where they could get that stuff free. I have to confess that Kevin and I have been loyally visiting Blockbuster as well, 'cuz the Mississauga library sucks. I miss Richmond Hill...
Okay, so there's more stuff out there, but this has gotten quite lengthy already. If anyone out there wants to comment on other free stuff the world should take advantage of, please share. :) I'm gonna go heat up the lasagna my mother-in-law made me (free) for lunch now. Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, good point. I am thinking of other free stuff, AGO is free on Wednesday evenings and ROM is free on Friday evenings, or it used to be. There is also all the parks in Toronto, I love all the green space. If I think of more free stuff, I'll pass them your way.

    ReplyDelete